pre-chilling the mix even if you have a built in compressor ice cream maker. You want everything as cold as possible when you go to freeze this in your ice cream maker. I would also suggest you use the freshest, highest quality ingredients you can for this recipe as you will taste the difference.
Here is a recipe for about a quart of ice cream.
- 3 cups of heavy cream
- 1 cup of milk
- ½ – 1 cup of sugar. To taste, ¾ cup is most common.
- ½ vanilla bean split and scraped. or 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- pinch of salt
- Whisk together all the ingredients in a lipped bowl.
- Pre-chill using one of the methods described here.
- Freeze in your ice cream maker as per manufacturers instructions.
- Serve immediately or within 4 – 6 hours in your freezer.
- For a full vanilla ice cream, double (or more) the amount of vanilla called for in ingredients above.